Preparing for Your Initial Consultation
If you are considering filing a lawsuit for injuries suffered in an accident, hiring an experienced lawyer will be critical for ensuring that you receive the compensation you deserve. When you choose a lawyer, the first step will typically be to sit down for a free initial consultation.
The initial consultation serves two primary purposes: (i) helping you determine if you have a claim, and (ii) letting you get to know the lawyer sitting in front of you. Personal injury cases can sometimes take a year or longer, and you may be putting your financial future in your lawyer’s hands, so you want to make sure you make informed decisions at the outset of your claim.
Information to Bring to Your Initial Consultation
Each personal injury case is unique, and your ability to recover financial compensation will depend on a number of factors that are unique to your individual circumstances. In order to help your lawyer evaluate your case, you should bring the following information to your initial consultation:
- Medical records relating to your accident-related injuries
- Photographs you took at the scene of the accident
- Police reports, vehicle and insurance information, and any other notes or documentation from the accident
- Your employment information, including any days you missed from work due to the accident
These are just the highlights. In this situation, more information is almost always better, so feel free to bring anything else that you think might be relevant to your claim for compensation.
Questions to Ask at Your Initial Consultation
You should also come to your initial consultation prepared to ask questions. Your attorney should be able to provide answers to questions like:
- How many personal injury cases have you handled?
- What other relevant experience do you have?
- Do you take cases to trial if the insurance companies will not offer a satisfactory settlement?
- What are my chances of success?
- How much can I hope to recover for my claim?
Of course, no attorney can predict how a case will turn out with 100 percent certainty. But, provided with enough information, an experienced attorney should be able to provide at least a rough estimate of the value of your claim.
For more information on what to expect during your personal injury claim, read Part 1, “The Aftermath of the Accident,” and stay tuned for the rest of our 5-part series:
- Part 1 – The Aftermath of the Accident
- Part 3 – Fighting for Settlement while Preparing to Go to Trial
- Part 4 – Your Personal Injury Trial
- Part 5 – Collecting the Money You Deserve
Schedule a Free Consultation at The Law Offices of B. Clarke Nash, P.C.
Clarke Nash is a Savannah, GA personal injury lawyer who represents accident victims throughout Georgia. If you would like to schedule a free initial consultation about your case, call The Law Offices of B. Clarke Nash, P.C. at (912) 200-5292 or send us a message online today.